Dear Mike, <vendor>

Your question has merit. The essence of one response was:

"but what if you get hit by a bus?"

Even the bus scenario doesn't demand that very small shops implement a
robust software change and configuration management (SCCM) system. If
your company has one version of mods on a single operating system level,
one LPAR on one box, a modest pace of change, no contract programmers,
and deployment in just one nation, it's probably not a wise decision to buy a
SCCM product. Better to put a fraction of those $ into a robustly designed
insurance strategy. Then if a bus accident does happen, the company has the
cash to retain high-quality (read "same nation") contractors to sustain
operations after the accident.

Based on the one-person shops we are familiar with, A+ usage of a SCCM
product would stretch a ~55 hour work week into a 60-65+ hour work week.

The converse of your question also has merit.

It's amazing that so many large organizations could only find the will to
improve internal controls based on a SOX compliance rationale. Even when SOX
compliance is doing the pushing, the internal control enhancements we've
witnessed tend to be at the de minimis end of the scale .... just enough to
appease the auditors.

Three pertinent links:

"NoExcuses" (tm) HelpLine Support services for i/iSeries.
http://www.unbeatenpath.com/up-a-notch/noexcuses.pdf
This service is used by our one-person-shop customers as a bus accident
insurance policy. It's pay-as-you-go with a money-back-guarantee that
each support episode has high quality.

"up a notch" (tm) Vulnerability Assessment & Mitigation services:
http://www.unbeatenpath.com/up-a-notch/compliance/complianceservices.pdf

Opinion piece: "What shareholders should know about the exploding
responsibility for data integrity" --- >
http://www.unbeatenpath.com/OpinonatedArticles/DebrisCloud.pdf
This article was written in 2004 as the SOX compliance scramble was in full
flower; it's surprising what a large % of the content remains in the
middle of the target today.

Warm regards and peace to you,
Milt Habeck
Unbeaten Path International