Rob,

Thanks for the information. With a VPN connection going, the link is not loading very well. I will try later.

Nick W Mart
----- Original Message ----- From: <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2009 11:12 AM
Subject: Re: STRPCCMD clarification

Anything publicly stated should be at
http://www-947.ibm.com/systems/support/i/planning/upgrade/futuresftwr.html

And System i Access for Windows doesn't give a rip about SNA so don't pay
attention to that part.

However, something that may help to start FUD about STRPCCMD is that it is
not mentioned at all in the User's Guide available at Start, Programs, IBM
System i Access for Windows, User's Guide. Commands mentioned there (that
run on the i and not the PC) are limited to: CPYFRMPCD, CPYTOPCD,
RUNRMTCMD, STRPCO. Now, why IBM would mention CPY...PCD and not
CPY...IMPF and in that same sentence mention RUNRMTCMD and not STRPCCMD
baffles me.

Other than not having to run the API to retrieve the name (or IP address)
of the 5250 session to run the RUNRMTCMD against, what advantages, if any,
are there to STRPCCMD? With RUNRMTCMD I can hit any pc as long as they
have started the remote command service in Services. (Note: On most PC's
that service is NOT autostart. Service is available on all PC's running
IBM i Access for Windows as a no charge feature. Alternatives to IBM i
Access for Windows remote command daemon are available on the internet.)

See also 'Retrieve Device Description Information (QDCRDEVD)'. Many
people have a wrapper for it called RTVIPADR.
RTVJOBA JOB(&WSID)
RTVIPADR DEVD(&WSID) IPADDR(&IPADR)
RUNRMTCMD CMD('del ''\*.*''') RMTLOCNAME(&IPADR *IP)

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
Dock 108
6928N 400E