what does the TS2240 attach to?

thanks for the info. It is a lot of help.

-Steve

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Pete Helgren <Pete@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Steve,

My JS12 (which is *finally* running like a champ) has an TS2240 that
reports in as a 3580 model 004 in IBM 1 6.1. With the latest VIOS
fixpack (21) I was able to save and restore direct to tape (Ultrium3).
I ran a system save over the last weekend and it all went without a
hitch. The addition of saving and restoring directly from tape has been
a real plus. I have been able to read and restore from a V5R4M0 tape
from a model 520 (Ultrium2).

The only *wrinkle* I have is that I have a bang! light on in the SAS
connectivity module when I plug in the the tape drive. The guy at IBM I
was working with seemed to think that the TS2240 wasn't a "supported"
model although these two links:

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/storage/tape/ts2240/index.html

http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?infotype=AN&subtype=CA&htmlfid=897/ENUS108-616&appname=USN

seems to indicate the TS2240 IS supported. He sent this link on
supported tape drives where the TS2240 is NOT in the list:

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/serverproven/compat/us/blade/8886.html#Storage

But I don't think it is accurate.

IBM did the original configuration so maybe the SAS Raid controller you
listed is an option I didn't get. I have two SAS conponents in the BCS:
SAS Connectivity Module, 14-1X Internal SAS ports, 4-4X Extern (Part
39Y9192), and IBM LSI SAS expansion card, 2-port, for RAID Controller
Blade (Part 39Y9187).

At this point, all is well after the update to VIOS 2.1 fixpack 21. The
HBA was replaced on the JS12 but I think most of the stability came from
the VIOS update and all the firmware updates I did. The tape drive is
finally usable! That was worth it.

Pete

Steve Richter wrote:
I need the hardware and system software necessary to restore a SAVLIB
save
from a 720 to a BC-S JS12. The SAVLIB on the 720 is written to an
Ultrium
LTO-2 200GB tape. The drive reports as Type-Model 3581-017.

can someone confirm that what I think I need is correct? I need to make
sure
that the hardware and software is available now.

The tape drive needed is the TS2240. The specs say it writes to LTO-3 and
LTO-4 tapes, but it can read LTO-2 tapes.
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/storage/tape/ts2240/index.html

also needed is an SAS RAID controller module

http://www-947.ibm.com/systems/support/supportsite.wss/docdisplay?brandind=5000008&lndocid=MIGR-5077856

also, upgrades to the VIOS and IBM i 6.1.

a good article on the subject from ITJungle:
http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh051109-story06.html