James,

Journals do need careful management. If you are truly only ever going to
journal this one file and no others, or, if you do start journalling other
files then you will have NO concerns about commitment control, etc, then
you may wish to journal just this one file to it's own journal. This will
allow you to customize the retention of that journal. However if you want
to start using commitment control and this file may be part of a
commitment boundary then you may will probably have to have all the files
in said boundary in the same journal.

Guess what our biggest library on our system is?
....+....1....+....2....+....3....+....4.
RUNDATE LIBRARY LIBRARYSIZE
05/21/09 #MXJRN 537,888,718,848
05/21/09 QGPL 97,105,551,360
05/21/09 ERPLXSAVF 76,018,049,024
05/21/09 GDIDIVF 69,608,075,264
05/21/09 ROUTINES 60,316,676,096
05/21/09 GDIDIVFT 58,404,929,536
05/21/09 QMPGDATA 33,524,191,232
05/21/09 GDIDIVFBK 28,546,355,200
05/21/09 YEAREND 19,842,572,288
05/21/09 MGR1499099 18,912,075,776
05/21/09 DTIDIVFX 16,580,685,824
05/21/09 GDI031509 13,159,022,592
05/21/09 DEIARCF 12,403,281,920
05/21/09 CLOCFILE00 12,238,643,200
05/21/09 ERPLXF 11,959,033,856

Our old payroll library is MGR1499099. Our ERP data library is GDIDIVF.
Our accounting data library is ERPLXF.

Oh, and guess why QGPL is so big.

Library Object SIZE Object Object
Type Attribute
QGPL ZAUDJR1521 10,244,726,784 *JRNRCV
QGPL ZAUDJR1522 10,244,726,784 *JRNRCV
QGPL ZAUDJR1516 10,243,678,208 *JRNRCV
QGPL ZAUDJR1519 10,243,678,208 *JRNRCV
QGPL ZAUDJR1520 10,243,678,208 *JRNRCV
QGPL ZAUDJR1517 10,242,629,632 *JRNRCV
QGPL ZAUDJR1518 10,242,629,632 *JRNRCV
QGPL ZAUDJR1515 10,241,581,056 *JRNRCV
QGPL ZAUDJR1523 8,963,276,800 *JRNRCV
QGPL F217113346 5,395,681,280 *FILE SAVF
QGPL QSI33788 381,816,832 *FILE SAVF
QGPL QSI18843 79,704,064 *FILE SAVF
QGPL ST751H1 61,935,616 *FILE SAVF

We keep 75 days of journals.