Elvis,

I see your point. In this particular case the data IS static. The auxiliary tables contain the descriptions of several Codes (e.g. Diagnostic Codes) and they should not change in the course of time (although, of course, there could be new codes added). To give you an idea, the table I have to get descriptions for has twelve different (12) Diagnostic codes!!

Thanks again,

Luis

From: "Elvis Budimlic"

You might be able to define it as DETERMINISTIC, and indeed that may be
truly be the case if your data is static.
My point is that running a query against any non-static data is by default
non-deterministic. I mean, if the data changes, the query will return a
different result, which is the definition of non-deterministic (different
output for the identical input).

I should have elaborated a bit more on that point. As it was I just >assumed
data can change in your database.

Elvis

Celebrating 11-Years of SQL Performance Excellence on IBM i, i5/OS and
OS/400