Well, the big clue to me was two items
1 - Message type
2 - MESSAGE

Message type is the fifth parameter, not the third.
MESSAGE appears as what one might think was the third parameter, if they
had ignored the valuable lesson Scott Klement gave us earlier about qsHell
strings. But MESSAGE is appearing in the fifth parameter.
I haven't the inclination to finish this but I'd start with the following:
1 - wrap the string in quotes instead of apostrophes.
2 - if a parameter is supposed to be 20 characters long, then make it so.
3 - if a parameter is supposed to be binary, then make it so.

Try to get it to work from the regular command line before sticking it
into qsHell. For example, if you can't get this to work
CALL QCMD
call pgm(qmhsndpm) parm('CPF9898' 'QCPFMSG *LIBL ' 'TEST MESSAGE'
X'000B' '*ESCAPE ' '*SYSOPR' '3' ' ' ' ')
then don't try this
QSH
system "call pgm(qmhsndpm) parm('CPF9898' 'QCPFMSG *LIBL ' 'TEST
MESSAGE' X'000B' '*ESCAPE ' '*SYSOPR' '3' ' ' ' ')"

And since this has return variables, which you obviously don't care about,
why are you using the api instead of SNDPGMMSG?
And if you're using a simplistic message like CPF9898, and you don't care
about the return codes, why not just use
SNDMSG MSG('TEST MESSAGE') TOMSGQ(*SYSOPR)

or
QSH
system "SNDMSG MSG('TEST MESSAGE') TOMSGQ(*SYSOPR)"

That works quite well.