The IBM i on POWER lets IBM make a Lot from the Few, thus occupying an
interesting niche in the IBM ecosystem.

You can draw a comparison to Amazon's Kindle, in that the Kindle lets Amazon
make a lot of money from the Few Kindle buyers.

If you can make something and sell it to the masses, that can be a great
business. But sometimes selling something to a much smaller group can also
be quite lucrative, if you pick the right product for the right customers.

the long tail — how most items in a product catalog have a small volume of
sales. But the same curve can be applied to customers of most businesses.
The “head” — a relatively small number of people — represent a
disproportionately large share of profits.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/06/how-the-kindle-let-amazon-make-a-lot-from-the-few/