Hi Matt,

The feature you have been discussing when using *AFPDS is known as "Highlight". It is a DDS keyword, which can be used with printer files to condition either records or fields. When you declare "Highlight", the second pass of text is automatically offset by usually 2 or 3 pels when printed in order to develop the desired bold look of the text.

The IBM InfoCenter includes the following information about "Highlight":

"HIGHLIGHT (Highlight) keyword in printer files

You use this record-level or field-level keyword to indicate that a field should be printed in bold letters.
This keyword has no parameters.
This keyword is valid for both IPDS and SCS printers.
For files created with DEVTYPE(*AFPDS), this keyword applies only to registered font IDs. If HIGHLIGHT is used with a coded font or character set and code page, a message is issued. See Appendix D of the IBM® Infoprint Fonts: Font Summary book for a listing of font IDs.

If you specify HIGHLIGHT at the record level, the keyword applies to all fields in that record. Thus, if both the record- and field-level HIGHLIGHT keywords are specified and either indicator condition is met, the HIGHLIGHT keyword is used.
The HIGHLIGHT keyword might not apply during printing because of the font being used. Do not use HIGHLIGHT if a numeric font that does not support the highlight font is specified, or if a graphics font is specified.
The HIGHLIGHT keyword is valid on either named or constant fields.
This keyword is valid for data types A, S, and F. You can specify HIGHLIGHT only once for each record and once for each field.
Option indicators are valid for this keyword."

From your previous description of using a program described printer file, I don't know whether you will be able to compile a DDS to work with the printer file or not.

Best Regards,

/Paul
-- Paul Tykodi
Principal Consultant
TCS - Tykodi Consulting Services LLC

Tel/Fax: 603-343-1820
Mobile: 603-866-0712
E-mail: ptykodi@xxxxxxxxx
WWW: http://www.tykodi.com

date: Thu, 7 May 2009 17:29:58 -0600
from: "Tyler, Matt"
subject: RE: Bold printing using *AFPDS and internal printing.

Dan,

" AFPDS is a *PAGE* format vs a *LINE* format in *SCS. An AFPDS page is
fully formated before anything is sent to the printer. Double print has
no effect as the pixels of the glyphs just overlay the previous ones. To
get bold in AFPDS, you'll have to code your program to use a AFPDS print
file and manage the font selection there."

Okay, well that stinks (for me anyway).  With this tool there is no good
way to develop a *AFPSD external printer file so that I can bold.  The
character position of the bold is variable even within the same document
because of the merge data.

Thanks, Matt

<snip>