"If a customer is running AIX on Power, does that mean anything to me ?"

IMHO, yes. It was nice to have some AIX/Power folks at Common because my JS12 in my BC-S has been driving me crazy and I was able to talk to some AIX folks that managed to move things along. If they weren't there, I would have had a tougher time getting to the right resources. It didn't solve my problem (the JS12 is still casters up at the moment) but I learned some stuff and made some contacts that I otherwise would not have had.

AIX will be something that you will be forced to reckon with, one way or another, if you are fully exploiting the power of your Power i. PASE will take you there. VIOS will take you there. Sooner or later you will log into some flavor of AIX. That may pique your interest and prompt you to attend a AIX session at Common you might not have otherwise gone to.

Rubbing shoulders with AIX folks might rub some i interest off on THEM and then they might go to an i session to learn more.

To me, this is win-win.

Pete Helgren

Michael Ryan wrote:
I'm always curious about that. If a customer is running AIX on Power, does
that mean anything to me? I'm an iSeries guy...I know OS/400 and RPG and all
the stuff involved with that. And I know AIX too, and in terms of
integration, that's a good thing. But is the hardware important? When I work
with a client, my value add is knowledge of OS/400 and RPG and
bidness...it's not knowledge about the hardware. If I was a hardware based
BP, it would be different. But I think most folks in this segment of the
industry are software folks rather than hardware folks.

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Jeffrey M. Carey <