The reason I asked was because we are looking at some ERP solutions that run on three different databases that might move our DB2/400 ERP to Informix (DRDA compliant) or MS SQL (not DRDA compliant). We have lots of in house developed apps that currently access our DB2/400 ERP. If we went the Informix route we could simply use DRDA to make the Informix database look like its local (CRTDDMF pointing to the Informix database). No code changes needed. The JDBC route would work (we have done this from some java apps already) but would require some major changes in the applications to move from an "F" spec file definition with CHAIN/READ/SETLL etc code to calls to a service program or embedded SQL. Doable, and maybe a better long term solution, but a much more costly, time-consuming conversion would be needed. We are considering asking the vendors to use a DRDA compliant database or provide as part of their package/support a 3rd party DRDA gateway that would make MS SQL accessible via DRDA

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 11:01 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: MS SQL server access from RPG

We looked at that. Instead we contracted Joe Pluta to write up a little
RPGLE to JDBC connection to MS SQL Server. No intermediate involved. No
annual maintenance. We probably could have figured this out on our own
but were a little busy. Craig Pelkie wrote an article in the July/August
2005 edition of iSeries 400 Experts Journal "Using Java to access
Microsoft SQL Server from RPG". Good point about using data queues to
communicate versus starting/stopping java.