Eftimios,

I take it you're using a GENERAL or GENERAL WITH NULLS parameter style when
you create a function. These parameter styles require a service program
function as a target of the UDF.
Check out documentation for SQL or DB2SQL parameter styles. These allow for
a program to be used as a target.

You can find an example in the redbook "Stored Procedures, Triggers, and
User-Defined Functions on DB2 Universal Database for iSeries", which you can
download at this link:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246503.html?Open

Take a look at section 15.6.1, 'Coding the SQL parameter style'.

Hth, Elvis

Celebrating 11-Years of SQL Performance Excellence on IBM i, i5/OS and
OS/400
www.centerfieldtechnology.com