Starting in V5R4 you may wish to look at
WRKSYSVAL QLOGOUTPUT
We changed it to *PND. Now, instead of spooling up into output queue
QEZJOBLOG when you do a WRKJOB... and take option 4 for spool files there
is no joblog. Now, even though the job is ended, you do a option 10 to
look at the joblog. Just have to have a spool file? Do a DSPJOBLOG
JOB(...) OUTPUT(*PRINT) and you'll get it. Other new commands of interest
include WRKJOBLOG. When these jobs end you will see they have a status of
*PND instead of OUTQ. Prior to V5R4 if you saw a job with a status of PND
you had one fubar job. Not anymore. Scared stiff to try changing a
system value? Then try this
CHGJOBD JOBD(...) LOGOUTPUT(*PND)
or
CHGJOB JOB(...) LOGOUTPUT(*PND)

Want to work with all of these pending joblogs? WRKJOBLOG

Yes, GO CLEANUP still cleans these up also.

We had someone (no longer on staff) who instructed the users to issue this
command:
CLROUTQ QEZJOBLOG
Which was bad enough when they had their own machine, but when we merged
them on to one lpar on one machine with everyone else it exacerbated the
situation.

As I was typing this up I could hear the guy in the next console
explaining to the outside consultant about this. He was freaking out
because jobs were in JOBLOG PENDING status.