On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 01:46, James H. H. Lampert
<jamesl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Anybody here had any experience running rack-mountable 520s without the
rack?

The machines are essentially the same. Of course it depends on what
generation of 520 you talk about. The Power5 / Power5+ models had a
conversion option, which just changed some external parts. As far as i
know, there is no conversion option for the Power6 model.

However, i've handled both types of Power6 520, and they have the same
interiors, the same cooling, just a different front placement of the
control panel.

For ease of handling, you might consider buying a 25U rack. IBM offers
them at pretty low prices, and you could probably get a cheap
third-party rack for a third of which IBM demands. The Power6 rack
mount kit is very flexible, and it should work in almost any proper
server rack. The Power5/Power5+ rack mount kit is a lot more picky.