John McKee wrote:
Finally, went to QSH and attempted to run sftp manually. Not going to work
there, I know.

If you're going to try it manually, why not use a real terminal instead of QSH or QP2TERM? that way you CAN do the interactive part manually... it's really not that hard.

But, I finally did get a semi-intelligent response from their end,
for a change. Some complaint about validation. I am assuming that
goes back to the terminal session being unknown to sftp, because I
can log in using Cygwin on my pc just fine. I did that to make sure
I was not missing something in the expect script.

So... try it interactively on i instead of from Cygwin. Surely that'll give you more useful information? This is what you have to do:

STRQSH CMD('/qopensys/usr/sbin/sshd')

And then run PuTTY on your PC, and connect to the sshd you just started. Presto! Like magic, you have a real Unix terminal connected to your i, and you're able to use sftp & friends interactively.

As I understand it, I only need to put a series of characters to look
for, so that password: is sufficient, rather than needing to put the
entire prompt, which is blah_blah_blah@xxxxxxxxxxx's password:.

Indeed, I typically expect "word:" Soemtimes people will capitalize Password: instead of password: so I don't like to search for the whole thing, just the end. (I suppose you could wait for "assword:" it sounds sounds funny...)

I would like to use scp. Loads simpler. Not sure if their site allows
it. Wouldn't scp still require an expect script to supply a password?
I see an option to run in batch to suppress the password prompt. But,
they insist on username/password authentication.>

I'm not familiar with every SSH server in the world... but OpenSSH (which is the one I run servers with) doesn't have a way of enabling SFTP without SCP. Indeed, it's tricky to enable SFTP/SCP without also enabling SSH itself.

I really feel bad for you. This should be SOOOO simple... I feel bad that you're having such a hard time with it... I've never had anything close to the number of problems you're having.