Hi, Rob:

There are many factors that can influence the performance of FTP on a server running i5/OS ...

For example:
1. is FTP running in an interactive job, or in batch?
a. if interactive, what is the interactive capacity of the system i?
2. do you have QDYNPTYADJ and QDYNPTYSCD system values set to "1" (true)?
3. what subsystem is the FTP job running in? what memory pools does this subsystem use?
4. what is the run priority, time slice, etc., of the job running the FTP?
5. what is the speed of the Ethernet card on the i that is being used to connect to the network or internet?
6. what other jobs are running at the same time?
7. what kind of DASD drives do you have in your System i? 10K RPM? 15K? etc.
8. are the DASD drives all mirrored or using RAID?
9. how much cache do you have on each DASD IOA and IOPs?
10. is the library or IFS directory in which you are FTPing files in a separate ASP or IASP?
etc.
I could go on and on, ... you get the idea?

... versus just doing FTP on a (more or less) "dedicated" PC ...

Mark

> rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
What you, and Scott, say are true. No question regarding that. However, 'if' the i is slower should we not give IBM the opportunity to make it better?