You may want to have one "master" job which does the ALCOBJ. It would also be responsible for submitting other monitor jobs if necessary, based on the workload.

Albert

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark S. Waterbury" <mark.s.waterbury@xxxxxxx>
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Dtaq/ UsrQ Monitor
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 13:46:54 -0400

Hi, All:

There is no need to create a separate object, like a *DTAARA, for this.
The *PGM can issue ALCOBJ against the program object (itself).

Use the same logic as shown (below) for the *DTAARA, but use the
"library/pgmname" of the *PGM itself, and "*PGM" for the object type. :-)

But, you might not want to limit a "listener" to only one "instance" in
this way when using a *DTAQ, because, as others have mentioned, it is
often desirable to be able to start multiple instances of your server
(listener) job to service a single request queue, depending on the
frequency and volume of messages arriving in the message queue, to
ensure that there is almost always a server job ready and waiting to
service the next request as soon as it arrives (or soon thereafter).
(This is a way of "tuning" your application performance.)

HTH,

Mark S. Waterbury

> Albert York wrote:
This is what I do.

The monitor program allocates a data area (usually the same name
as the job) exclusively. Then other programs can determine if it
is active by attemptnig to allocate it (with a wait time of 0).

For example.

The monitor program:

CRTDTAARA DTAARA(QGPL/DTAQJOB) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(1)
MONMSG MSGID(CPF1023) /* already exists */
ALCOBJ OBJ((QGPL/DTAQJOB *DTAARA *EXCL)) WAIT(0)
MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000) EXEC(GOTO EOJ) /* Already
active so end */

Other jobs:
ALCOBJ OBJ((QGPL/DTAQJOB *DTAARA *EXCL)) WAIT(0)
MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000) EXEC(GOTO ACTIVE)
/* if the data area can be allocated then the monitor job is not active */
DLCOBJ OBJ((QGPL/DTAQJOB *DTAARA *EXCL))
SBMJOB CMD(CALL PGM(DTAQPGM)) JOB(DTAQMON)
ACTIVE: