From: Tom Liotta
AFAIK, System i (etc.) swapping happens more at
the page-level than the job- or program- or even object-level. ICBW!

So much happens under the covers that its hard to know exactly what's going on, but there's definitely movement back and forth between DASD, RAM, L2 Cache, and L1 Cache. L1 Cache is closest to (on) the CPU, fastest, and the most constrained (in size). So it's predictable that when a job is provided access to the CPU, its instructions and data will move up close to the CPU, and back down when not in use. The algorithms that perform movement certainly know what memory belongs to which jobs, and which memory is likely to be needed close to the CPU.

If you were shoveling coal into a furnace, wouldn't you want the pile close to the furnace, rather than to fetch shovel loads now and then from the hinderlands?

So I have a hunch that jobs that require a lot of memory have an impact on performance as their instructions and data are moved physically close or away from the CPU. Like moving bigger piles of coal.

My understanding is that single level store is a virtual address space, not a physical one.

Nathan.