It was a while ago, but when working with Vision HA I had a customer that had the same type of problem. I think they had a VPN with 2 channels & changed to a VPN with 3 channels. After switching to 3 channels they would get dropped packets and due to the volumes it was noticed just on the HA software. The Telnet sessions had dropped packets but would just retry so nobody complained.

Jim

--- On Mon, 3/2/09, Lukas Beeler <lukas.beeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Lukas Beeler <lukas.beeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: iCluster 5.2 - Anyone using it?
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, March 2, 2009, 12:02 AM
On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 18:17, Kirk Goins
<kgoins@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm trying to get a stable replication going via a
VPN  connection and
having all sorts of issues. Both boxes are on V5R4 and
the VPN tunnel is
staying up, so it's nothte tunnel.

I wouldn't rule that out so quickly.

I have no clue about IBM i HA software, but my first look
would be at
the traffic itself, using Wireshark and Network Monitor, to
see which
connections fail and why.

My guess would be an MTU issue, especially if you just
established for
this very purpose.

Another reason that could cause the problem you describe
could be the
firewall running on the VPN router closing TCP connections
after the
idle timeout. Wireshark/Network Monitor would tell you that
(because
you'd see a connection teardown without the other side
sending one).

--
Read my blog at http://projectdream.org