Steve Richter wrote:
I am still curious about decisions made regarding the evolution of
ILE. I think Windows has a clear advantage over Unix and the AS400
because the .NET framework provides a common denominator for all the
general purpose and domain specific languages used when programming
Windows. CL cant instantiate JAVA objects, or call a PHP method or
even use the RPG varying string. RPG cant use an SQL result set. All
of this is the responsibility of the run time framework, which on the
AS400 is/should be ILE.

Steve: I have the feeling I've pointed out the errors in your analysis
before. If not, I'm sure others must have. Either way, I have no doubt
you'll continue to repeat your faulty opinions. But I'll try to explain
it again here.

When comparing .NET and ILE, you're making an apples versus oranges
comparison. In a nutshell, ILE is a framework for building compiled
program using static and/or dynamic binding. This kind of capability
exists in pretty much all operating systems, including Windows, Unix,
and Linux. If you want to make comparisons, compare .NET with the JVM,
both of which are available on a number of operating systems, both of
which offer an interpreted sandboxed environment along with a robust
class library.

Were there decisions made in the mid 1990s to slow and stop the
evolution of ILE?

The simple answer to that question is no, of course not. Are we really
expected to believe your insinuations that some cabal of managers and
technical advisors in IBM conspired to stop the evolution of ILE?

On the front page of the Wall Street Journal today is a mention that
MSFT is increasing its investment in the MSFT Research division. The
next sentence reports that Google is asking to join an antitrust probe
of MSFT in Europe. If you cant beat em, sue them!

-Steve

Any company that engages in anti-competitive activity, or abuses its
dominant position, can expect to be hauled on the carpet.

Cheers! Hans