Nathan Andelin wrote:
From: Jerry Draper
I think it might have been the decision by IBM NOT to give us a
GUI interface like X-Window on the iSeries.

Well, browser technologies eclipsed x-windows, and IBM threw-in with Sun, HP, and others to back Java. Now, about 12 years later, IBM has put together a pretty big ecosystem around Java which is paying off.

So at that point, asking IBM to develop a native IBM i GUI is (and I know this is somewhat exaggerated for effect) ...

Hmmm...

... roughly akin to asking Exxon Mobile to build a 150 HP electric motor.

You mean as in "it'd be only a pocket-change kind of project" for them?

I'm kidding, of course; but there might be an issue involved.

I'm no longer close to new hardware configurations, so I don't know how feature codes, etc., match up with functions.

Is additional interactive CPW (5250 OLTP??) still a significant chargeable item?

Tom Liotta