Last Thursday I asked why the restrictions to uploading Excel to our System i were not taking affect, and Rob sent me a link to a section in the Info Center that I had missed. The link says, under Local Settings:
Depending on the application, you may not see the changes that you make until:

* The next time the client PC signs on to the system. This is the case for iSeries(tm) Navigator functions.
* The next time you restart the client PC, or 24 hours after you make the change, whichever comes first. This is the case for iSeries Access for Windows(r) functions.
(I don't have an Administration System defined, so, as I understand the Info Center [and I have gotten lost in there before], the Central Settings aspect would not apply here.)

Anyway, as part of my test, on our test box no less, I set "Excel Add-In Uploads" under Client Applications in Application Administration so that no one could perform this function. Once I rebooted my PC, even I (with *AllObj authority) could not upload Excel files to the test box. Good, that was what was supposed to happen.

Then, as the second part of the test, I customized the function so that my user id was allowed to upload Excel spreadsheets to the test box. That is, the 'Default Access' and 'All Object Access' boxes are unchecked, but under 'Customization' my user id, which is both my System i and my Windows XP log in, is defined in the 'Access Allowed' box. I did that on Thursday before I left for a long weekend. My PC was left up over the weekend.

This morning I tried to upload an Excel spreadsheet to the test box as it has been > 24 hours since I set the rule. Got the 'Policy Restriction" dialog box saying that Application Administration wouldn't allow it. Ok, so I rebooted my PC and tried again. Same "Policy Restriction."

The first two steps in the "How access to a function is determined" (http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/rzaj3/rzaj3determineaccess.htm) say:
* If All Object Access is selected for a function, and the user has all object system privilege, the user is allowed access to the function. If not, continue to the next step.
* If the user is either denied or allowed access by the Customized Access setting, then the Customized Access setting determines the user's access to the function. If not, then continue to the next step.

The first doesn't apply since I unchecked the 'All Object Access' box. But the second step should have, I thought, allowed me access since I am defined in the 'Access Allowed' box.

What have I missed / overlooked this time?

Thanks.

Jerry C. Adams
IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale