From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of John McKee
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 5:10 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Printer file positioning

This sounds like a dumb question to me. But, it is bugging me anyway.

Program has two WRITEs in it, one for each record in the printer file.
Seems to
work great. But why does it work properly? I get a single page from the
printer, which is exactly what I want. Why didn't two WRITEs produce two
pages? I am not using anything on either record to defer writing.

Which brings up the alternate question: If two forms are printed, what would
put them on separate pages? Is there some timing issue here?

I'll bet this goes back to some fundamental DDS concept. But, the reason I
thought I had to put the BOX keyword on the same record format was to prevent
multiple pages being printed.

John McKee

Quoting Bill Reger <BillR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Yeah John, works pretty good. What I've seen is to reserve one
record format for all the fixed stuff - like BOXes, LINEs, things
like that. And then a second (more traditional) record formnat for
all the variable data.

Bill