I just discovered the parameter STG(*DEFINED) in the DCL statement.
I added our database dictionary PF in a DCLF and declared a variable based on on from the dictionary. As we have 2 PF that make up our dictionary ( the first one is full) I needed two DCLF to declare the whole dictionary. Our RPG programs use a single LF that points to both the PF of the dictionary which doesn't seem to be possible with DCLF.

The down sides I've found are : I need to declare 2 OPNID, so I have to know which PF or volume of the dictionary I'm using. Also, when searching a compiled source in SEU split screen with *ERR, there are an awful lot of messages with gravity 10 that get in the way. The names of the zones referenced in my case would be limited to 8 as a minimum of 2 characters are used for the prefix of the program variable.

Any thoughts?