A packed field can -only- have an odd-number of digits! Because you have 1/2 byte for the sign, either count the bytes by odd numbers (1-3-5-7) until you've counted up to the number of bytes, or calculate-- ((#ofBytes * 2) - 1). Even if you describe the field with even numbers, you still get an extra half-byte once the data's stored on disk.

As far as sorting... it doesn't matter if you have a character, packed, or binary field-- sorting on the field still comes out in the right sequence.

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx