Hi Chris,

has anyone used the qp2term SFTP client to connect to a SFTP server via
user ID and Password?

Yes.

I have a bank I need to connect to but I keep getting an error about
keyboard interactive - Access Denied without ever being prompt for
the password.

That could mean that the bank has denied password authentication. They may have their server set to ONLY allow digital key authentication.

Another possibility...
Are you using a 5250 terminal emulator? If so, that's the problem. SFTP is very picky about the terminal you're coming from, because it does not allow password authentication unless it's completely sure that you're coming from an interactive terminal.

Trouble is, SFTP is a Unix program. It doesn't consider a 5250 terminal to be an interactive terminal!!

There are ways to use an xterm-compatible (Unix style) terminal emulator instead of 5250... If the problem is that SFTP doesn't trust yout 5250, that will solve it. (Also, if that's the problem, an Expect script might solve it.)

Here are some links to articles I've written about using OpenSSH on i -- not sure if they apply to your exact error -- but it couldn't hurt.

http://systeminetwork.com/article/ssh-scp-and-sftp-tools-openssh
http://systeminetwork.com/article/openssh-swiss-army-knife-secure-networking
http://systeminetwork.com/article/error-handling-sftp-scripts
http://systeminetwork.com/article/download-site-expect-tool

Here's a recent discussion on passing variables to SFTP scripts that involved scripts using password authentication:
http://forums.systeminetwork.com/isnetforums/showthread.php?t=52905

I can connect to this same server using SSH user@server and get the
password prompt. but SFTP user@server does generates the error. I am
at V5R3. I think the error is generated by the remote server but I
do not know how to tell. There is nothing in the job log. Where
would I find the qp2term session log?

I'm not sure what a "qp2term session log" would be. I would suggest specifying the -vvv option to SFTP to have it generate more detailed information:

sftp -vvv user@host

But, in my experience, the extra information isn't really that helpful. Still, maybe it'll yield something, who knows?