Jon Paris wrote:

On 9-Dec-08, at 10:45 AM, midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Q: How many IBM types does it take to change a light bulb?
A: 100. Ten to do it, and 90 to write document number GC7500439-0001, ...

Of course 9 of those 10 will be managers of some description. Only one (person X) will change the bulb. It is also possible that not only will person X change the bulb, but A) Be a contractor and B) Also produce the first draft of the documentation.

Of the 90 in the documentation group there will be a similar percentage of managers, including a number whose only function appears to be to insist that nothing be done that isn't applicable to all platforms - even if it makes no sense. A significant percentage of the "workers" will also currently be involved in re-working the entire system to produce the next ultimate solution. Possibly only one person will be left to attempt to fix the current system and make it behave the way it was promised to.

But didn't that one retire a couple years ago?

Tom Liotta

They will spend many hours in mutual consolation drinking sessions with person X bemoaning the fact that nobody takes any notice of what they say and that with less than 50% of the resource the new system is getting they could really fix up the current one.

Not that I have any personal experience of this you understand ...