Rich--

I recently discovered some pieces of a RTVJRNE-using application in the October 9, 2003 edition of the "Club Tech iSeries Programming Tips Newsletter." http://systeminetwork.com/node/61261 (or Google/search for CBX902).

The RTVJRNE command basically 'taps into' the journal process-- and the operating system hands your program (the program specified in the RTVJRNE command) a copy of the journal entries as they are written. You can specify which entries to recieve (ie for which files).

Your program is handed (as a data structure) the data from the journal receiver, and you can pick and choose which data to do something with.

After the number of entries you specified in the command have been handed to you, the system relinquishes control, and the program that issues the RTVJRNE command regains control.

You can monitor/save/use the last journal sequence number to run the command again and get the next transactions in sequence.

This can be an almost real-time way to retrieve data-- you're handed the transactions by the operating system as they occur.

The link above has a complete example application.

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx