From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Alan Shore
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 2:36 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Lets Talk about Overlays

Hi Dan
using the following procedure (this works for portrait - not for
landscape) Add AFP Printer driver to your PC

Go to 'Start', 'Settings', 'Printer and Faxes',
Click 'Add a Printer' (follow the wizard)
Select 'Local printer attached to this computer'
Select 'FILE: (Print to file)' for 'Use the following Port'
Choose 'IBM' and 'IBM Infoprint 20 AFP'
Continue to click 'Next', accepting the defaults until you can
click
'Finish'

Saving .XLS document as an overlay document

Open .xls document
Select 'File', 'Print'
Choose 'IBM Infoprint 20 AFP' from the dropdown
Check box 'Print to File'
Click on 'Properties' to the right of printer name
Select 'Overlay' from the dropdown box under 'Output Type'

Click 'OK' to close '...Advanced Properties...'
Click 'OK' again to accept all changes
Input 'Output file name' (include entire path)

Your file is ready to be imported to the AS400

Creating an Overlay

Login to iSeries Navigator
Expand the IP address of the system you would like to create the
overlay
Follow the path below:

Right click on 'Overlay' and select 'Import'
The following screen appears:

'Browse' to the location of the Overlay
Enter in the 'Resource Name' (8 character name for overlay)
Enter in the 'Library Name' to save the Overlay
Add a 'Description'
Choose 'Object Authority'
Keep the default 'Data Type' as 'AFPDS'
Click 'OK' - Overlay is now located in the LIB you specified above

Alan Shore
Programmer/Analyst, Distribution
E:AShore@xxxxxxxxxxx
P:(631) 200-5019
C:(631) 880-8640
"If you're going through Hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

"Dan Kimmel"

<dkimmel@rjssoftw

are.com>
Sent by: "Midrange Systems Technical

midrange-l-bounce Discussion"

s@xxxxxxxxxxxx <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

12/04/2008 02:06
Subject
PM RE: Lets Talk about Overlays

Please respond to

Midrange Systems

Technical

Discussion

<midrange-l@midra

nge.com>

You don't need AFP. AFP Workbench is a PC tool that comes packed in Ops
Nav (iNav, whatever). You can (and obviously are) applying an overlay to
an SCS file. However you approach it, you are creating a *OVL object.
Then you apply the overlay object to the spool file through a print file
or overriding a print file. How are you moving the spreadsheet to your
i?