Back up the bus. I keep enough PTF images laying around to sink a ship.
So I loaded up the Current V6R1 C8288610 on a V5R3 box! Works great. I can
load, mount, and view the contents of file. This is an image that was
downloaded from Fix Central with FTP and is a bin file. Support for DVD
images has been in image catalogs since the beginning.

If you can't mount and validate your V6R1 PTF images on a V5R4 box then
they are bad or you need PTFs and IBM Support is leading you astray -
shame on them.

If you think about it most of us that do any number of upgrades do ALL our
upgrades from DVD images created on a V6R1 system (where else would you
create them??) If I couldn't load a V6R1 type image on a V5R4 system then
I couldn't do an upgrade!!

Something here is not as it seems.

- Larry

Larry Bolhuis IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert -
System i Solutions
Vice President IBM Certified Systems Expert:
Arbor Solutions, Inc. System i Technical Design and
Implementation V6R1
If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English,
thank a soldier.

"Jeff Crosby" <jlcrosby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
12/02/2008 03:08 PM
Please respond to

"'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
V6R1 Cume at V5R4 - plan well ahead

All,

New thread because a new issue.

Those of you already on V6R1: When you got the V6R1 cume prior to the
upgrade, did you get CD images or DVD images?

I've downloaded the DVD images twice. I can do the ADDIMGCLGE, but not
the
LODIMGCLG when the DVD images are in there. I get OPT1390:

Message . . . . : Error with virtual volume image.
Cause . . . . . : The image object specified for the virtual optical
volume is not a valid volume image or an error occurred when accessing the
storage for the image object. The virtual device used for the operation
was
OPTVRT01.

Support is now telling me this is expected. DVD images are too large for
image catalogs at V5R4 and thus cause this error. They told me I would be
fine once V6R1 was installed. ARE THEY NUTS? I am NOT installing V6R1
without having a known good copy of the V6R1 cume inhouse.

Plan ahead because:

1) If you order SF99610 via SNDPTFORD on a V5R4 system, they will discard
the order _without notifying you_ because you, in effect, ordered CDs and
V6R1 only ships on DVD. (Hold that only ships on DVD thought). I found
this out 2 weeks after placing the order when I called in to find out
where
it was.

2) If you order SF99610 via Fix Central, you will download DVD images
which
cannot be loaded/verified in image catalogs on a V5R4 system. You can't
ask
to download CD images, per support.

3) Support can _mail_ you CD images of SF99610, however. So much for only
shipping on DVD.

4) Though I've waited 2 1/2 weeks, support cannot expedite the order, so
it
will be another 1 to 2 weeks. Unless my support person can get special
dispensation.