Charles Wilt wrote on Tue, 18 Nov 2008 19:12:43 GMT:

Your statement contradicts the statement made by Larry Bolhuis
in June 2008,

"There is one HUGE no-no when it comes to failed Load Source
in a RAID environment: DO NOT stop the operating system until
the drive is replaced. Unless is has been fixed with newer
RAID cards, (Which I simply don't have the guts to try...) the
system cannot IPL from a dead load source drive even though
it's RAID protected. Thus it is extremely important to replace
and rebuild that drive with all available alacrity!"

What models/RAID controllers support the IPL of the box with a
failed, but RAIDed, load source?

I can't recall when this changed, or even that it has changed.
The standard recommendation has always been to keep the system
running and use concurrent maintenance to fix load source without
IPLing.

We like to try to break things with the latest hardware,
firmware, and LIC. I know one thing we did was pull the load
source drive, shut down the system, and IPL before replacing the
load source. It worked.

However, I would NEVER, EVER recommend doing this on a production
machine. I continue to recommend to customers to do everything
humanly and technically possible to avoid an IPL when the load
source drive is in a failed state.

I remember my first model 400. We had a mirrored pair for the
load source and then a RAID set for the rest.

I like this combination too .... especially if you can get to IOA
level mirroring. However, the hardware support guys do not like
this and consistently tell me to stop making this recommendation.
Their argument is it is difficult to get set up. And I agree
it's not as easy as straight RAID protection, but I like the
enhanced protection for load source especially if you can get to
remote load source mirroring (IOA level or better mirrored
protection).