<vendor response>

While you're at it, take a look at Kisco's iFileAudit.

Details at: www.kisco.com/ifa

Rich Loeber
Kisco Information Systems
http://www.kisco.com

Al Mac Wheel wrote:

We had a similar situation come up only yesterday.

A new raw material item was entered to our system, there was research into
sources, best price was found, vendor involved coded into the item .....
then some time later the vendor info got blanked & the part got ordered
from a more expensive vendor. So what caused the vendor info to be blanked?

In theory any number of human actions, programs, bugs, work outside the
system, accidents, could have messed up the vendor identificaiton. If you
not monitoring file activity, not going to catch what happened.

I checked whose security would let them in there to do it, which was more
than 1/2 of our employees.

Since there can be hundreds of legitimate updates daily, finding the needle
in the haystack of data ... who changed the price, incorrectly, who updated
that cost they were not supposed to because the standard should be fixed
for the year, except when starting new parts ... who updated the
transaction rules to cause transactions to be posted without going into
General Ledger, then changed it back, and what transactions in between.

We generally operate on the principle ... when we stumble over some error
in the system, let's fix it, but when we observe a pattern of errors, we
want to know what's causing that, so we can fix the pattern. Some patterns
are potentially more dangerous than others ... sell at wrong price for 6
months before anyone notices. Have BOM messed up and not discover until
time of Physical Inventory that we had to order $ 10,000.00 of excess
unwanted inventory.

Well you really need a package like Stitch in Time, or Change Management
applied to your data, which comes with the software to help you navigate
that haystack of data to find out about the changes to vendor field, cost
field, price field, GL rules, or whatever turns out to be an issue months
after you setup the monitoring. You also need some care what all to
monitor, so you don't ruin your disk space with a log of activity not needed.

Al Macintyre

Hi ...

Savvy auditors typically have another problem with triggers ... they can
be turned
on and off "without a trace." If a change happens while the trigger is
off, the change
is not observed.

We built an audit solution for the pharmaceutical industry; they obviously
have an exceedingly
high need to "see" any changes to BOM records for ethical drugs. The
product is called
Stitch-in-Time and it has been used to provide fail-safe observation of
crucial iSeries
files in a wide range of enterprises ... even an oil company bought a copy.

When Stitch-in-Time is asked to observe a database, the product saves the
image of the
record just before a change and what the record looks like after the
change. Also saved:
who did it, precisely when that happened, and what tool was used to
execute the change.

The audit features of the product are so strong that we've often used it
as a debugger
to efficiently find the "smoking gun" causing a data integrity surprise in
a production system.

Here's a link: http://www.unbeatenpathintl.com/stitch_in_time/source/1.html

Warmest personal regards,
Milt Habeck