Is the copied information adequate to rebuild what's needed?
In some purchased software, we can have files without their source code.
Different LF might point at different mixtures of members.

If the purpose of the TEST copy is for testing, then there are two other
considerations.
1. A sub-set of the total production file, that is representative of all
kinds of data in the production copy, can support good testing, without the
same overhead.
2. The reason for testing is that we expect things to fail, so we can fix
them, before they do any damage. Make sure you have good security, and/or
replace identity-theft data in the test data base with dummy data that
meets the field validation needs.

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:11:43 -0600, sjl wrote
All -

We were having difficulties when refreshing data libraries in our
test environments due to the long time it was taking to rebuild the
logical files over the physical files.

I determined that it was much more efficient to first /remove/ the
LF members from the logical files in the to-library /before/ doing
the CPYF command, then submitting jobs to add back the LF members
once the PF was copied - thus was born a new command I call FASTCPYF.

The underlying CPP for this command does the following:

1) DSPDBR of the PF in the to-library to an outfile to capture all
of the logical files that are dependent on the PF in the to-library
2) DSPFD of the PF in the to-library TYPE(*TRG) to an outfile to
capture any triggers on the file in the to-library
3) Removes all of
the LF members from the PF in the to-library
4) Removes all of the
triggers from the PF in the to-library
5) Uses CPYF to copy the from-
file to the to-file
6) Using the information from DSPDBR, submits
jobs to add back all of the logical file members to the PF in the to-
library
7) Using the information from DSPFD TYPE(*TRG), adds back
all of the triggers to the PF in the to-library

Have I missed anything?

From my preliminary testing on a physical file that has a lot of logical
files, FASTCPYF can be 10 times faster than CPYF...

- sjl