I have a program which uses CGIDEV2 to create an XML file. It reads a template from the root filesystem, fills in the template, and writes the completed XML file to the same directory (with a different filename, of course). I've worked around the problem, but it's nagging me and I can't figure out why this is happening.

I realized as I was updating the program for the next tax year that I was generating the file as CCSID 819 (ISO-8859-1), but my <?xml ...?> header stated UTF-8. I must have just used a text editor to convert it before sending it last year.

I tried changing the output file to be CCSID 1208 (UTF-8) by changing the CCSID parameter on wrtHTMLtoSTMF(), but I get errno=3490 (ECONVERT) when CGIDEV2 attempts to re-open the output file to write the output.

<goryDetails>
wrtHTMLtoSTMF does something like this:
create a temporary filename (desired filename + 'TEMP' + job number)
unlink tempfile if it exists
open tempfile to create it (empty with proper CCSID) with:
C eval FileHandle = open(
C StmfTemp:O_CREAT + O_WRONLY +
C O_TRUNC + O_TEXTDATA + O_CODEPAGE +
C O_LARGEFILE:
C S_IRWXU + S_IROTH + S_IXOTH:CodePage)
where CodePage is 1208, which I've passed as a parameter.

re-open tempfile for writing:
C eval FileHandle = open(
C StmfTemp:O_CREAT + O_WRONLY +
C O_TRUNC + O_TEXTDATA:
C S_IRWXU + S_IROTH + S_IXOTH)

At this point, I get the ECONVERT error. I found a forum post* from Scott Klement stating that CGIDEV2 doesn't support multi-byte CCSIDs for writing to STMF, but I don't think UTF-8 counts. I'm also not sure why the above would fail for multi-byte CCSIDs, the documentation for O_TEXTDATA doesn't mention such a limitation.
</goryDetails>

If I simply change the CodePage parameter to 819 and my template to use <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>, everything works fine.

FWIW, I one thing I tried was making the template file UTF-8 encoded. I learned about the BOM bytes** that some software writes at the beginning of multi- or variable-byte encoded files. CGIDEV2 doesn't like the BOM bytes, but seems to work fine with a template file that is CCSID 1208.

I don't know where to look next - any suggestions?
Adam

* http://forums.systeminetwork.com/isnetforums/archive/index.php?t-47517.html (or http://tinyurl.com/6d4wk8 )

** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte-order_mark#Representations_of_byte_order_marks_by_encoding (or http://tinyurl.com/5rojua)