Al,

Did you get your 6400 printer issues worked out?

Steve

Steven Morrison
Fidelity Express

macwheel99@xxxxxxxxxx
11/05/2008 05:08 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: IBM 6400 Twinax Remote to Network

Thanks

We had SERVIT come in & replace the twinax card with an ethernet card.
The printer is now connected to a Microsoft network, which has various PCs

also connected to it, using that network to ultimately reach the 400.

Initially the 400 could not vary on the printer, and gave it
QPDAV-whatever
identity ... as soon as I changed QPDAV whatever to a sane name, with
WRKCFGSTS, the printer identity jumped to another QPDAV # string ... it
was
not acceptable to me for the printer to have a different identity each
day.
Then my laptop got some windoze software installed that recognizes that
printer, with a sane name.

I had to power down up the 400 for it to recognize "new" printer.
We have AS/400 model 170 with OS/400 V5 R1

Now the 400 is able to print there, provided my laptop is talking to the
Internet, has the VPN up, and I click on a work station session that is
that
sane printer id. Other people are also able to release stuff to print
there, so long as my laptop session has not "timed out" with the Microsoft

network. When that happens, I have to reboot my laptop & restart VPN etc.

The plan was to install the same Windoze stuff on bunch other people PC's
so
whan me not in this office, anyone in the office there can use the
printer.

However the print quality is a nightmare.
It is chopping stuff off at approx 8 inches wide.
Some reports rotated sideways with even smaller print.
Vertical alignment is for the birds.

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 15:07:13 -0600, John McKee wrote
Is printer directly network attached, or is it attached through a pc?

If attached by a pc: Does PC have optional LPR/LPD from Microsoft
(or somewhree else) installed? If it does, can you create a device
description that matches the printer? If not, can you install
LPR/LPD? It runs as a service, so no user needs to be logged on to
the computer the printer is attached to.

if directly attached to the network: Can a device description be
created for it?

John McKee

Quoting macwheel99@xxxxxxxxxx:

My company is dropping T1 line in vavor of VPN to save $.

This means remote printer now connects via Ethernet, using rules on
PC(s)
local to same office, not 400 host settings. I want it to print same
as
what we used to get ... page form dimensions, CPI, LPI, not chop off
parts
of report, sideways or top or bottom, lose alignment, etc.

Through the printer properties setup on PC we selected tractor feed
which
has choices
A3; A4; B5(J15); fanfold 8 1/2 x 12 in; letter; legal; US Std
fanfold ... do
any of these even come close to "Print whatever the host 400 sends
you."? I
am not finding anything remotely like that in the various tabs. In
settings, we currently have it with data type: "RAW" WinPrint.

Currently there are multiple problems, rendering the quality of
anything
it
prints, at best, seriously impaired ... here's a list of what I have
noticed
so far:

unreliable network connections
unreliable portrait vs. landscape
unreliable form length, ignoring placement between perforations
unreliable control over what belongs on the same page
often chopping off right side of report
inconsistency of print size
over printing where not wanted
s_l_o_w print speed