From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Charles Wilt
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 2:04 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Can I send a message from the iSeries to a cell phone?

All you need is a modem and a little code; assuming your cell phone provider
supports TAP, most did and probably still do. Verizon for
example:

Protocol: Standard TAP
Toll-Free TAP Access Number: 1-866-823-0501 Baud Rate Range: 300-19,200 bps
Data Settings: 7 data bits, even parity 1 stop bit Message Length: 160
characters Wait to Connect: 60 seconds or longer

You could probably adapt some open-source code to the system i.

Honestly however, I'd prefer to simply bur some monitoring software that had
the capability built in.

Bytware's Messager Plus comes to mind. I've used that myself.
Help/Systems has a similar offering under their ROBOT brand.

Charles

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Jeff Crosby <jlcrosby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>