We are still running IBM i V5R4 on our systems here. I just received the refresh (whatever that means) for Client Access V6R1 in two DVD sets. I usually don't bother with intermittent upgrades of base packages, such as this, until I'm ready to do the full release upgrade. However, that will probably not be until next year because of the workload (gotta get the product out the door, bills sent, etc.). I ordered it because I read (here) that it would allow us to get over the 64k row limit in Excel 2007 (and make our CFO happy, or a little less grumpy). So please bear with me as I ask a few questions.

First, one set is a single DVD labeled "System i [finally changed the iSeries moniker, I see] Access Family Refresh" and product code 5722-XW1. This is the piece that goes on the System i, right? I guess I'll also need a new license key after I install it.

Second, the other set is two DVD's with actual instructions for installing on the PC. I have LAN Console installed on my PC; will installing this upgrade wipe out that installation? I.e., will I have to re-configure LAN Console support on my PC? To be frank, this is the most important question. Frankly, I didn't take very good notes when we set it up; I'd hate to mess that up. My experienced guess is that the configuration will remain intact based upon the fact that the session descriptions always remain after a PC-side upgrade. Hopefully, just being my usual paranoid self (even paranoids have real enemies, though).

Third, is it really necessary to install the System i package in order to use the PC stuff? I recall that, when we were still on V5R3 of the OS, that I installed V5R4 of Client Access on my PC (before we had LAN Console support installed, by the way). But that was within a version boundary; don't know if such works outside the version boundary. I realize that there might not be new and improved features that I/we couldn't use without the server-side product installed, but is it necessary for the PC-side, especially to meet my goal of exceeding the 63k limit in Excel 2007?

Thanks.

Jerry C. Adams
IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale