From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10/14/2008 03:24 PM
Subject: RE: Interesting question and debate on ddl tables with
date fieldsthatwill not always have a value

One - I don't see this as too tricky:
if %nullind(termDate);
dsply 'employee is active';
else;
dsply 'employee was terminated ' + %char(termDate);
endIf;
or any more lines of code than
if termDate = MichelangelosBirthday;
dsply 'employee is active';
else;
dsply 'employee was terminated ' + %char(termDate);
endIf;

You do have some leg to stand on that if an incompetent programmer were to
check termDate without checking it's null indicator they can get into
trouble. For example if I do
termDate = date(); // set to current date
%nullind(termDate) = *on; // set termDate off as employee is active
dsply termDate; // even though null, it will still display today's date
But, who's to say that same programmer wouldn't figure that a date of
0001-01-01 or Michelangelo's Birthday or whatever wasn't a valid date?

Were you hoping that IBM had written the compiler so that if you tried
dsply termDate;
and if termDate was null then you'd get a messy MCH type message as if you
tried to dsply a variable that wasn't passed into the program and you
failed to check %addr on that?

I take it you also have an issue with
select termDate
into :termDate :termDateInd
from ....

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"DeLong, Eric" <EDeLong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
10/14/2008 03:04 PM
Please respond to

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Interesting question and debate on ddl tables with date fieldsthatwill
not always have a value

So, are you saying that you use null support for all your business
applications? From the perspective of your users, would they ever be
able to tell the difference between an application using null support,
and an application using legacy techniques?

Seriously, my gripe is not the concept of null value, or even how SQL
processes in the presence of null values, but is about how hard (messy)
it is in a HLL like RPG. The reality is, if you MUST support null
capable fields in RPG, you must ALWAYS check the null indicator before
you EVER access the field in question. Did you know that even a null
field will still return a valid value during a fetch? It might be the
default initial value for that data type, or it might contain some other
value (assuming the field was set to null AFTER it had a value stored).

If IBM made null support more transparent, I would probably recommend it
usage. As it is, I don't think most developers would be disciplined
enough to always use it properly.

JMO,
Eric DeLong