Bryan Dietz wrote:
Have you looked in SST at the hardware manager?
STRSST
opt 1
opt 7
opt 1 will show frames(sidecar)

you can also look at the hardware contain within.

What I see in Packaging Hardware Resources is:

System 9406-510 SYS01
System Unit + 9406-510 1 FR01
Tape Unit ? 7208-012 SD001

(We never had a 7208 connected to this system since we inherited it from a customer, although we did have one at one time, connected to other boxes.)

Expanding the System Unit, I see

System Unit 9406-510 FR01
Control Panel 2468-001 EMP01 P1
Voltage Regulator 2677 C01 1
Bus control card C05 2
Bus Expansion Adapter C04 2C
Communications IOP 2623-001 C20 3
Communications IOA 6153-001 C21 3A
Communications IOA 6153-001 C21 3B
Communications IOA 6153-001 C21 3C
Multiple Function IOP * 9163-001 C12 4
Communications IOA 2612-001 C14 4B
Storage IOP 6152-001 C19 5
Storage IOP 2621-001 C18 6
Workstation IOP < 6140-001 C34 7
Communications IOP 2623-001 C15 8
Communications IOA 6153-001 C24 8A
Communications IOA 6153-001 C17 8B
(followed by some disks)
System Processor 2144-000 C03 13
Main Storage 3155-0C1 C38 13A
Main Storage 3155-0C1 C39 13C
Main Storage 3155-0C1 C40 13D
Main Storage 3155-0C1 C41 13F
Voltage Regulator 2677 C02 16
Tape Unit % 6390-001 EMD05 1
Optical Storage Unit = 6320-002 EMD02 2
(followed by the disks in the "hat")

All of this seems to match what's physically present in the slots (and I note that NOT A SINGLE ONE of the 6153s are connected to anything), but there's no sign that the sidecar even exists.

The Bus Control Card and Bus Expansion Adapter in 2 and 2C don't show model numbers on the display; the actual units are marked 2674 and 2686, respectively.

Under non-reporting hardware, I see a bunch of disk drives that are no longer with us (or are on the shelf as spares), and then I see:
Bus Expansion Adapter C41
Bus Expansion Unit 5044 RMD02
(which contains unused workstation and communications I/O processors)
Communications IOP +? 2623-001 C29
Workstation IOP ? 6140-001 C33
Workstation IOP ? 6140-001 C35
Communications IOP +? 6617-001 C16
Communications IOA ? 6153-001 C30
Communications IOA ? 6153-001 C31
Communications IOA ? 2609-001 C32
Communications Port ? 2838-001 C25
Workstation IOP ? 6141-001 C26
Tape Unit ? 7208-012 SD001 (as shown at top-level)

The sidecar (marked FC5070 on the front) contains, by rear-panel slot:
1. 2680, which has a double fiber connection to the main cabinet
2-4. 6617 FSIOP, containing a 2838 Ethernet card
5. 6141 (unused)
6. 6140 (unused)
7. 6140 (unused)
8. 2623 (containing 2 6153s and a 2809)
The front of the sidecar contains 6 264A cards, and 2 2676s.

We've never used the FSIOP for anything other than its Ethernet port, we've never used any of the 6153s at all, and we've never needed more than the one workstation IOP.

I'm looking for the path of least resistance to getting this thing back online; if that path is a potential path to being able to ship the sidecar off to the scrap heap, so much the better.