On 6-Oct-08, at 12:54 PM, midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Jon, What I meant by "human interface" is how will we interface with
the MySQL commands.

I don't know a lot more about this than you Brian but I think I can answer a couple of points

Do we have to specify CRTPF library/file with a parm as STGENG(*MYSQL)
or some such.

No. As I understand it, unlike DB2, MySQL does not really have its own "native" storage method. Rather it relies on a "storage engine" concept which assumedly is surfaced as an API set that has to respond to a specific set of database related commands. For example, the version I am running on my Mac has four "engines" installed including MyISAM which is the default. If you run MySQL on i today I believe it also uses the MyISAM engine in PASE. When the DB2 engine is available, then when you create a table in MySQL you should have the additional option to specify the DB2 storage engine. When you do that I believe it creates a DB2 table which will be usable directly from RPG, SQL, or whatever on the native side as well as from MySQL. I think you can also map an existing DB2 table as a new MySQL table but I don't know how/if that works.

How does the system know it has to understand the MySQL syntax to do
file reads/updates?

It don't think it needs to. Only the engine has to understand the API calls made by MySQL.

Is there a command line interface for running MySQL commands?

In PASE yes. I doubt it would be surfaced in native mode.

Will we have embedded RPGMySQL like we have with traditional SQL?

You don't need it if the MySQL table is using the DB2 engine - you'll simply use regular embedded SQL.

I will be waiting anxiously.

Me too!

Jon Paris

www.Partner400.com