We do client access under ssl but did not need to issue a certificate for each user/workstation. We do have a verisgn certificate server side. I think issuing client certificates is only necessary if you want the server to be able to validate that the client is allowed to connect. If you just want to encrypt the password being sent at signon you do not need client certificates

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John.BresinaJr
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2008 3:43 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Telnet concerns from auditors

Larry,

We ran into the same issue with the auditors. Yes it was the ID/Password being sent in clear text that they were concerned about. We ended up implementing IPSec on all our regulated iSeries, AIX and Widows machines. IPSec is a VPN tunnel. During this implementation we found that IBM was not following the ratified standard for handling digital certificates and fought with them and got them to provide a V5R4 PTF to fix their issues. The solution works great but is a slight pain to setup.

John Bresina | Sr Server Engineer | Target Technology Services - iSeries| ¤Target | 33 S. 6th St, CC-1175 | Minneapolis, MN 55402 | 612 304 3665 (ph) |