From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:16 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: System running out of ports

Prompt the CHGTCPA command. Check the 'TCP time-wait timeout' value. I
suspect that it's set too high.

The situation is quite weird, because when in 'time-wait' state, the
sockets are really just waiting for a period of time as a "just in case"

type of measure. It shouldn't involve anything other than waiting for

the timeout value.

So unless that timeout value is too high, all I can think of is a
problem in the OS (maybe some corruption somewhere?) If it's not the
timeout value, and an IPL and/or RCLSTG doesn't help, I'd call IBM.

Carl Galgano wrote:
I have a customer with a 170 that has been running and running for
years.
We rarely touch it.

In the past 2 weeks I have received a few calls about printers that
have stopped working. In looking at the spool job's joblog, I can see

message that the system has run out of port for LPD/LPR printing.
Further inspection of the NETSTAT (option 3) screen indicates that
there are literally thousands of jobs initiated from the iSeries to
the printer in a TIMED-WAIT status, with idle times measured in days.

In looking at other iSeries boxes, it appears that for every spool
file send from the iSeries to a printer, the iSeries opens a new
connection with a local port to port 515 on the printer, sends the
data, goes idle, and after about 60-90 seconds, the connection
disappears.

So, what is my customer with the 170's connections not ending
gracefully????
BTW, the client is at V5R1.

Carl J. Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.