I fully agree with Joe.

Bruce "Hoss" Collins

IBM i on Power Systems - For when you can't afford to be out of business

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 8:02 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Authorizing program access

Simon Coulter wrote:
I didn't know you could disable *STATUS messages in the profile.
What would the parameter be to do that?

Now that's another example of what I consider a stupid question (and
NO, it's not unprofessional to say so).
If you've only been wrong twice on the lists in your entire life,
Simon,
then consider this the third, because it is indeed unprofessional --
hugely so -- to call a question "stupid". The question itself
obviously
cannot be stupid, so you are instead saying the questioner is stupid,
and that's about as unprofessional as you can get.

The question might be unnecessary and the answer might be available; at
that point you can simply answer RTFM or some other equally flip
anti-social catch phrase; that's at least on the very fringes of
acceptable behavior. But to say a question is stupid is beyond even
the
most basic tenets of professionalism.

Although your knowledge of the system is obvious, your condescension is
unparalleled in the list and I consider it to outweigh the value of
your
posts. Here's why: If your attitude causes even one newbie to not ask
question because they don't want to be the brunt of your verbal
tantrums, that negates all the positive your answers bring to the list.

But that's my opinion. And as I am loathe to get involved with opinion
threads, I'll drop it here. Take it or leave it.

Joe
list