As I recall, QM queries require extra pairings of apostrophes... I think there's a good page (or three) about this in the FAQ...

http://faq.midrange.com/index.pl?_highlightWords=qmqry&file=106

Eric DeLong

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Frances Denoncourt
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:45 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: QMQRY QQRYSRC issues group by and order by

As many of you suggested earlier, I am trying to switch from query/400 (or whatever it is these days) to Query Management queries.

I cannot use STRQM because the command is only in two prior release libraries.

But, that's not the issue at the moment.

I'm following examples in the SQL Reference manual for small tests.
SELECT WORKDEPT, AVG(SALARY)
FROM EMPLOYEE
GROUP BY WORKDEPT
ORDER BY 2

and this example:
SELECT PROJNAME, PRSTDATE, PRENDATE
FROM PROJECT
ORDER BY PRENDATE DESC

My source is (I tried using Select * which didn't work either):
SELECT RPPRCL, RPYEAR, RPBTCH, RPNAME, RPREFA, RPCHCK, RPAPYR
FROM TXOVRPP
WHERE RPNAME = &NAME OR RPREFA > &NEGAMT AND RPREFA < &POSAMT
OR RPPRCL = 'B018034101'
GROUP BY RPPRCL
ORDER BY RPPRCL

I am calling it via a CL which worked for other examples.
This is the error I am getting - it's not consistent with the example from the manual.
Any ideas which is the problem? thanks

Message ID . . . . . . : SQL0122 Severity . . . . . . . : 30
Message type . . . . . : Diagnostic
Date sent . . . . . . : 08/27/08 Time sent . . . . . . : 11:27:30

Message . . . . : Column RPYEAR or expression in SELECT list not valid.
Cause . . . . . : One of the following has occurred:
-- The statement contains column name RPYEAR and a column function in the
SELECT clause and no GROUP BY clause is specified,
-- Column name RPYEAR is specified in the SELECT clause but not in the
GROUP BY clause.
-- An expression is specified in the SELECT clause but not in the GROUP BY
clause.
-- The RRN, PARTITION, NODENAME, or NODENUMBER function is specified in
the SELECT clause with a column function or a GROUP BY clause.
-- A column or expression that is specified in the ORDER BY clause, but
not in the SELECT clause, does not conform to the grouping rules listed
above.
Recovery . . . : Do one of the following and try the request again:
-- If a GROUP BY clause is required, make certain that all columns or
expressions in the SELECT list and ORDER BY clause are also in the GROUP BY
clause. Do not specify the RRN, PARTITION, NODENAME, or NODENUMBER function.
-- If a GROUP BY clause is not needed, the SELECT list and ORDER BY clause
should not contain column functions with column names or the RRN, PARTITION,
NODENAME, or NODENUMBER function.

Fran Denoncourt
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
Pinal County Treasurer's Office
Florence, AZ 85232
(520) 866-6404

Receipt of this message does not grant you permission to send me
Unsolicited Commercial Email