Gee, it's been awhile since any of my tape drives qualified as an
"alternate IPL device". Those fiber attached SAN tape drives... I end up
having to use the DVD as the alternate IPL device and the tape drive as an
"alternate installation device". There's a difference - see the backup
and recovery guide.

Logging the steps... With V6R1 that's supposed to be in there. However,
the only reference I can see to that data area is by emails from Pete
Massiello. Nothing at any IBM sites.

I too, have my own backup program that logs start and stop times of each
step.
Field Start End Attrib Text
1ASYSTEM 0 1000 08A8 System name
2ADTDATE 0 9000 18L10 Date of downtime
RCLDLOST 90000 19000 44Z26 Start of RCLDLO
RCLDLOEN 40000 45000 70Z26 End of RCLDLO
RGZDLOST 90000 71000 96Z26 Start of RGZDLO
RGZDLOEN 40000 97001 22Z26 End of RGZDLO
RCLSTGST 90001 23001 48Z26 Start of RCLSTG
RCLSTGEN 40001 49001 74Z26 End of RCLSTG
SAVSYSST 90001 75002 00Z26 Start of SAVSYS
SAVSYSEN 40002 1002 26Z26 End of SAVSYS
NONSYSST 90002 27002 52Z26 Start of SAVLIB *NONSYS
NONSYSEN 40002 53002 78Z26 End of SAVLIB *NONSYS
SAVDLOST 90002 79003 04Z26 Start of SAVDLO
SAVDLOEN 40003 5003 30Z26 End of SAVDLO
SAVIFSST 90003 31003 56Z26 Start of SAV for Integrated File
System
SAVIFSEN 40003 57003 82Z26 End of SAV for Integrated File
System
IPLSTR 3 83004 08Z26 Start of IPL
IPLEND 4 9004 34Z26 End of IPL

And, if you change tape drives as often as we do I suggest adding
information about the tape drive to this file. Also, QMODEL, QPRCFEAT,
etc might not be bad also.