Ah, good old HBOC aka McKesson Series aka Series 2000.

http://www.mckesson.com/en_us/McKesson.com/For%2BHealthcare%2BProviders/Hospitals/Hospital%2BInformation%2BSystems/Series%2B2000.html

The only thing dumber than IBM changing the name of the platform every so often is a software vendor who names their application uber-similar to the server platform's then-name. It makes "Who's on First"-type conversations like this possible

*ring ring*
There's a problem.
A problem with what?
Series.
Huh? You mean the AS/400?
Yeah, Series.
Is there an issue with the Series i hardware?
Dunno, but there is this message on the screen...
Or do you mean a problem within the Series 2000 software?
Well, the message says "Series" in it...
*pounds head* If it could get the marketing clowns from McKesson and IBM in a dark alley...

Sorry for the diversion, back to the OP's question:

BBACKUP is just a series of wrappers around the actual IBM save commands.

We do our SAVSYS outside of the BBACKUP, after manually shutting down the interfaces and updater threads from within the Series application menus. Then you can either do a GO SAVE, 21 or your own CL commands or program to do ENDSBS, SAVSYS, etc...

The rest of the backups are done by modifying the BSYDTAA/BSYSSVU file, which can be accessed using mnemonic SSCM from inside the McKesson Series software application. Where it made sense and was straightforward saves, we just added the IBM commands to the file. Where it didn't, we called a CLP program with the save commands and some additional logic.

My 2 cents - I would prefer applications to just stick to um...applications stuff and leave the backup and recovery outside. Because when the feces strikes the AMD (air moving device), it is lots easier to look at a few CL programs with commands that any AS/400 person can read and understand to find out what was saved and how it was done, instead of wading thru application menus, screens, tables and logs.

Brian Dolinar.