On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 7:26 PM, <rob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I do see one hit on that by searching IBM's i support site.
However that response is locked down to partner world members of which I
am not.

Problem Summary:
A user is attempting to edit a physical file via Operations Navigator
and gets the following message: EDIT - Access is denied for file x lib
y. The user determined the QDDSRC file can be edited in the same
folder/library under qsys.lib; however, this file cannot be edited.
The user gave *PUBLIC *ALL authority, but that did not work. Then, the
user's profile was granted *ALL which also did not work. QSECOFR also
could not edit the file.

Resolution:
A Display Job Log ( DSPJOBLOG ) output for the QPWFSERVSO file server
job that was servicing the Operations Navigator session was requested.
Further examination of the various QPWFSERVSO jobs located the correct
job. A CPIAD12 message in the joblog identifies what job is being
serviced. Message CPDA033 with RC1 from the QPWFSERVSO job was found
where:
Message . . . . : Could not open member &1 in file &2 in library &3.
Cause . . . . . : The open of member &1 in file &2 in library &3 failed.
Reason code &4 indicates why the request failed:

01 -- Unsupported file type. If opening for text mode, the file must
be a data physical file which is program-described or a source
physical file which has only one data field. If opening for data mode
(binary), the file must be a data physical file (program-described or
externally described) or a source physical file that has only one data
field.

An earlier LIC trace showed that the file being opened was done in
text mode because it was providing a CCSID. This is done only with
text mode opens. An externally described file has DDS describing the
layout of the records. A program-described file means that there is no
DDS, so the "program" using the file must know the layout of the data
records and is, therefore, program-described.