To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2008 10:47 AM
Subject: RE: Does this tick you off?

Jim, you know what - that's just what the problem is:

These users are not able to "put down on paper and/or verbalize" their
needs to the point where I would then be able to analyze and design an
integrated system which would meet "THOSE NEEDS".

So, it seems like to me that the users are going out to these vendors to
ask them how to run their business, and of course, these vendors have no
idea how our business runs or should be run. But, of course, they do
have some fancy looking, Windows or Browser based, colorful apps with
which they will wow these users.

How many times will this approach actually result in satisfying what the
customer really needed in the first place??

I sit here ready with my LANSA and Net.Data with my "mouth dripping" to
get into this type of project. I have done all I can to get their
attention, including letting the CEO know how I feel. In this case,
there is a Manufacturing Engineer who heads the project, and he has
shared with me that every project he has worked on or been involved in
in the past 20 years has been fully implemented using EXCEL
spreadsheets! That is a big part of his job, and he loves doing it. It
is a different culture out there now.

Don