On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 5:50 PM, Steve Richter <stephenrichter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
using IVM to create the IBM i partition I set the desired processor
config to "dedicated". Is that OK? VIOS and possibly AIX runs on one
core and i5/OS on the other?

It makes sense to share CPU resources between VIOS and IBM i OS
dynamically. VIOS will only need CPU when doing IO, and the CPU won't
do IBM i OS any good when it waits for IO.

Natchev section 5.3 .... the mktcpip I used was :
mktcpip -hostname vjs12 -inetaddr 192.168.1.22 -interface en0 -gateway
192.168.1.1 -start

Looks like you're missing a subnetmask in that command. I'd assume
that it goes for the default of a /24, but i have no idea how your
network is configured.

If your config change to the AMM or VIOS does not seem to take, try
restarting the system. In Natchev 5.7, my browser connect to the IVM
at the ip addr specified in Natchev 5.3 did not work. After cutting
power to the BCS and restarting, it did work. There is a shutdown -Fr
AIX command that works to restart the JS12 blade. Not sure what
command to use to shutdown and restart the AMM or entire BCS.

The shutdown command can be used to restart VIOS, and thus effectively
the whole JS12 blades with all LPARs.

You can restart the AMM through the web interface, but it doesn't have
anything to do with your network connectivity problem.

Not sure what you mean by "entire BCS". Most of the modules can be
restarted individually. I'd guess that the only way to restart the
whole backplane would be to cut the power to it. That isn't necessary
in any case except hardware defects.

Here is a question .... My browser connection to the IVM was lost 10
minutes after activating the i5/OS partition. I was refreshing to see
the SRC code change. The last one was C600 4016. 12 hours into the
install and I still dont have an IVM browser connection. Is that to
be expected?

No. You can do network debugging on VIOS by using the "oem_setup_env"
command to get a root shell, and then use the usual ifconfig, route,
ping commands to test the network connection.

Configing the LAN console in Natchev 5.11 was confusing. The host name
and ip address I guessed to be the mktcpip values for VIOS from
Natchev 5.3.

That would explain the problem you have. Now the LAN Console Adapter
is configured to the same IP Address as VIOS. You now have an
IP-Address conflict, which causes the issues you're experiencing.

The LAN console on the JS12 is the same as on any standalone machine.
You should've used a free IP Address for the LAN Console Adapter.

I am glad I did not give up on the install after losing the IVM, a LAN
console connection that switched between two different "pending"
statuses, and no blinking light sign of life from the BCS. Let it run
over night and came in to see the LAN console logon for user 11111111,
pwd 11111111.

Yeah, the installation IPLs can take very long.

During the LIC install I was prompted to specify the load source
device. Without an IVM I could not tell which of the 3 drives listed
was the drive inside the blade. The guess came down to chosing the
first drive listed or the one which was ctl 1. The others were ctl 2
and ctl 3. I chose, probably incorrectly, the first drive listed.
All the drive activity after this was on the first drive in the drive
module.

It doesn't really matter on which drive you put the load source. You
can always fix it in IVM.

"Disk Config Attention Report" - the install is telling me there is a
problem because "the current configuration indicates a single unit
system" Is this an actual mistake? Pressing Enter to continue ...

It depends what the message exactly said. I remember a message that
told me something about the fact that i'm using virtual disk units and
that IBM i OS can't guarantee me anything about configuring it
correctly on its own.

blow by blow notes here .... LAN console thinks nothing of closing
your green screen console window even when you are typing a reply to
an install prompt. VIOS has no respect for IBM i! Has happened twice

Never had that behaviour. It is MOST LIKELY related to the IP conflict
with VIOS.

config and may contain valid data" What to do? I am leaving them out
so I can complete the install.

That's a normal error message and appears everytime. Even on standalone systems.

what to do ??

Fix the IP configuration! Easiest way would be to change the IP
address of VIOS, you can do that over the SOL prompt on the AMM.