David Gibbs wrote:
Joe Pluta wrote:
And it shouldn't. The mailing software should be smart enough to use a change in subject to break the thread, or at least have that as an option. Obviously, it has to handle RE: but that's not rocket science. If you look over the entire list, it's clear that the intent of changing the subject is to break the thread.

Well, that's just not the way it works.
But it should.

There's are headers in email messages named "message-id", "In-Reply-To", and "References". These headers, in combination, are how most email programs, and the list archiving program, tie threads together ... so, if the subject changes, the messages are still specifically tied together. This is also how a message thread display can be multi-level where specific messages are in reply to another message (i.e., this message will show in the archives as in reply to Joe's response and not to my original post).
I'm not arguing that your requirement doesn't match the current state of the software, or that you personally are making an onerous request. However, the fact that I can't do what is natural tells me there's a problem with the software somewhere along the line - or let's not call it a problem, let's call it an opportunity for enhancement.

The only way to create a totally new thread is to create a new message addressed to the list.

Take a look at RFC 2822 section 3.6.4 for more information.
Again, I don't argue with your handling of the current situation. But I do take issue with your conclusion. The only way to create a new thread is to put the correct value into the message-ID field. And I'm not even suggesting that the list software has the ultimate responsibility, although I think there should be an option in the list software to handle that.

No, I'm saying the focus should be on allowing the end user to work naturally. The most natural case is that, if I change the subject then I want a new thread. Simple, elegant, easy. The email software ought to be able to detect that and then format the message appropriately according to the RFC. That's the best world, and as I said, maybe I can find a way to hack that into Thunderbird in my copious free time.

Because I think it's clearly a deficiency in the process that I have to hit "New" to break the thread. It's especially difficult when I'm trying to fork an alternate discussion off of a current post. The only way to do that is by a Rube Goldberg technique of hitting reply *AND* hitting new and then copying the pertinent bits from the original message to the new message...

It's a great example of the software working against the user. Not *your* fault; you're doing what you have to. But certainly a fly in the ointment.

Anyway, that's my two cents. You're doing the best you can with the state of the art, but the state of the art could use a little spiffing up.

Joe