From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Jon Paris
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2008 11:06 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: The real problem with the SQL precompilers (was SQL on
AS400...)

I agree with your assessment. I know IBM has made some improvements
to the pre-compiler (thanks Gina!), but this disconnect still bites
us all the time. WDSC (RDi) falls over when reviewing compiler
errors, debugging is ugly, x-ref and outline features are
incomplete, etc..... IBM needs to eliminate this asap. Seems to be
in IBM's best interest to make their tools usable, without the work-
arounds that we currently are stuck with. IBM should find this
situation embarrassing.

I think the opportunity has already been missed.

When they were contemplating making the changes that we have recently
seen (and I agree that Gina did good work) they had the opportunity to
throw it all away and start over and do it properly. They chose
instead to put more chewing gum and baler twine on an already flawed
approach. We can't blame Gina for that - she wasn't responsible for
the architectural decisions. I suspect that budget (both in Toronto
and Rochester) was the ultimate stumbling block.

The ridiculous aspect of this is that the compiler on which RPG IV was
based already used the "compiler in charge" approach and it had to be
disabled for the ILE implementation. The result of course is that the
pre-compiler is almost doomed to be forever behind the compiler as it
always has to be updated whenever the compiler changes. That's
constant duplication of effort which could have been avoided with a re-
write.

Jon Paris

www.Partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com